How to cope with headcache pain easily - The management of pain was very long neglected. Fortunately, attitudes in this area are about to change and now the pain is more often seen as a real component of the disease. Huge progress has been made, particularly in the use of available treatments. And whether in the small daily troubles or the biggest pain pharmacist is Pharmélia
to advise you.
How to cope with headcache pain easily
3 TYPES OF PAIN
Among all forms of pain that the body can make us suffer, we schematically three main categories, the treatment is different every time.
- First the pain called peripheral: this is acute pain - which are the most common - and that warn us that something is wrong with our body (eg pain related to rage teeth, myocardial infarction, intestinal obstruction, etc.) These devices also cover pain traumatic pain, post-operative ones, infectious or related to chronic diseases (eg rheumatism, back problems, cancers). These pains are the most common and therefore the result of injury to the body peripheral tissues: the nervous system (which itself remained intact) then transmits an excess of pain impulses.
- The second category nerve pain linked to lesions of the nervous system, or device level (as a result of the nerve section, amputation) or centrally (stroke for example). This pain can be spontaneous, that is to say manifest themselves in the absence of any stimulus but can also result from a normally non-painful stimuli such as a draft or a touch, or a stimulus little painful is perceived exaggerated. In all cases these are very disabling pain, sometimes accompanied, especially when they are chronic, anxiety and a depressive malaise.
- Finally pain without defined causes no apparent damage. This category includes unclassified pain in the first two and are usually linked to psychological phenomena, or special conditions like fibromyalgia.
Can we measure the pain?
Pain is obviously a subjective concept and the relationship we have with it is very different from one individual to another. But although the pain is not quantifiable, it is possible to evaluate the painful experience.
To do this, scales and evaluation questionnaires exist to guide the analgesic prescribed treatment and assess its effectiveness.
Allowing the patient's own self-assess pain experienced, the scales are different in nature, including by asking the patient to choose the adjective that seems the best match the intensity of pain. On other scales, digital, figure the patient's pain.
The most sensitive and reliable scales are the "rulers pain": they are visual analogue scales, where the patient shows, along a straight face that the intensity of her pain, the position that best fits how he feels.
Other assessment tools are available, such as behavioral scales and above the descriptive questionnaires that invite the patient to give a precise qualitative description of his pain.
The most extensive questionnaire at present has 61 qualifiers that define the nuances of cognitive, sensory and emotional perceptions of pain; the patient check the adjectives that best describe the pain and intensity rating.
Pain in children, especially before the age of 5 or 6 years, remains difficult to assess. In very young child who does not have access to the language, the pain can be read in the attitudes of the body (defensive position), behaviors (psychomotor sluggishness, sadness,
resignation ...) and facial expressions.
In older children, pediatricians have measuring scales adapted pain, like the faces of scales on a series of drawings of faces expressing various intensities of pain, the child chooses the one that best represents its pain. For
localize pain in children, pediatricians can ask him to draw on the body patterns front and back, where he suffers, coloring them with the intensity of his pain. From the age of 10, the child is able to answer questionnaires
Against the most common pains, analgesic drugs are very effective. Today we define three levels of analgesic drugs:
- Against the mild to moderate pain (level I): it is essentially aspirin (attention to significant side effects), paracetamol and anti-inflammatory molecules that are involved. Aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs act primarily by inhibiting the production of hormones (such as prostaglandins) involved in the transmission of the pain message.
- Against moderate to severe pain (level II): these weak opioids, which calm moderate to severe pain and / or those who resisted the level I analgesics (codeine and dextropropoxyphene);
- Against intense pain (level III): the level III analgesics include the powerful narcotic used to relieve severe pain, acute and chronic mainly as pain associated with cancer (this is primarily morphine).
SMALL DAILY PAIN
For all daily pain that brings you the counter at your pharmacy, it must first be accurate and describe exactly how you feel to get good advice: burning, stinging, tightness, pain or continuous short, etc. As already stated, every person and situation corresponds to a particular treatment.
- For cuts, bruises and superficial wounds, pharmacist first advise you to disinfect and to use conventional painkillers such as aspirin, paracetamol or ibuprofen (such Spedifen).
- For menstrual pain, aspirin is totally discouraged, we must focus ibuprofen or paracetamol. If the rules are painful to the point of disabling, it is then necessary to consult a gynecologist.
- As for the teeth, they are a nerve at birth: for newborns to inflamed gums, administer a mild painkiller and anti-fever based on paracetamol and then rub with a soothing balm. For adults, the pain must necessarily lead to a consultation for any painkiller can only be a temporary solution. Of course, the choice of the molecule will also depend on your other treatments.
- Older people with rheumatism are relieved by anti-inflammatory drugs on prescription: pay attention to the interaction that these drugs can have with others. For that your doctor and pharmacist are at your disposal.
- The pain associated with cancer types are now supported effectively by morphine treatments addictive side effects were often overvalued. For patient comfort, portable pump systems by continuous infusion, may be settled by the patient as needed, entrust control of his pain.
- Back pain is often described as a chronic disease whose cause can be deficient musculature or false movements. Physiotherapy, swimming can be effective as well as relaxation techniques or practice of a non-violent sport. A radiological examination, a balanced diet rich in calcium often prevents therapy.
- In extreme cases or when after several consultations or treatments you suffer always, you can through your doctor request a consultation in one of the centers of Pain located in several hospitals in France. With overlaps and synergy of all these skills, the results of treatment to follow for your pain can be established and treatment bear fruit.
How to cope with headcache pain easily
Universal, affecting all population groups, migraine is a very common condition (12% of the French population is nearly 7 million people) that affects mainly women (18% of adult women are affected against 6% of men ). This is actually the time of puberty the frequency of migraine increases rapidly to reach the net observed female predominance in adults.
If no age group is immune, it is young adults who are most affected first because migraine attacks usually appear before age 40 and then because the frequency of attacks decreased during the second half of life.
This disease is usually underestimated by those who do not suffer and still remains underdiagnosed because half of migraine sufferers do not consult, often because they think that there is no effective treatment or because they use a disordered self-medication. Yet all know how migraine is a disabling condition and alterative quality of life, not only during crises but also between them (where some discomfort can be felt, and the constant fear of the emergence of a new crisis or fear of favor triggers these attacks): alteration of physical, deterioration of relations with the environment and - of course - the pain are the main causes of this degradation can disrupt family life and professional.
Migraine is manifested by recurrent attacks triggering of several hours to several days. Located on one side of the head, it is generally described as punctuated by beats, pulses whose intensity is variable. In most cases, the frequency of these crises than once a month and can lead to bedrest.
According to statistics, 15% of patients less than ten attacks a year while 25% said a crisis a month. About 20% suffer from two attacks per month while 15 to 20% suffer a crisis a week. These crises (which occurs between periods when the migraine is not suffering) may be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, irritability, vision problems and a sensitivity to light or noise. Sometimes migraine attacks are preceded by what is called an aura and characterized by visual disturbances, numbness, tingling or language disorders (phenomenon of aura).
More than a third of migraine sufferers underline the importance of triggers in the onset of seizures. These factors are often associated and may change from one crisis to another: when a trigger is unique, its elimination or modification can then be effective. Unfortunately, often these factors are multiple and little changed, or they are absent (the then pretend crises occur for no apparent reason).
Among these triggers, but with the stress, fatigue, various foods (chocolate, fatty foods, etc.), climate factors, etc. In women, the drop in estrogen hormones at the end of the menstrual cycle is often an important trigger of migraine attacks. But beware, although the stress or emotional shock can trigger a migraine, it is not due to a problem of psychological origin.
Today, the origin of migraine attacks remains a mystery. Many hypotheses have been put forward, but it is impossible now to offer a complete diagram of migraine. However, we know that during the crises involved vascular, neural and biochemical changes and they correspond to a neurovascular dysfunction, that is to say, the nervous system and blood vessels: then there is a stimulation of nerve the face and skull (the trigeminal nerve) which innervates certain blood vessels to the brain surface and releases substances causing dilation of these vessels as well as inflammation causing pain.
TREATMENT OF CRISIS
This treatment should not be taken at the time of the crisis and at the start of this: its purpose is to stop or at least reduce its intensity and duration. Four classes of drugs have demonstrated efficacy in migraine: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen, analgesics, derivatives of ergot and triptans: only the last two classes of drugs specific migraine.
Analgesics and NSAIDs are the first-line drugs, while derived from ergot and triptans are reserved for crises that are resistant to these drugs (triptans careful and derivatives of ergot do not mix together). In addition, taking these drugs must be made at the time of crisis, and as soon as possible once the migraine is confident that a crisis starts (in case of abuse of these drugs, you may end up no longer tolerate or even have headaches because of them). However, the use of derivatives of ergot and triptans should be avoided during the phase of the neurological aura.
A few simple steps often bring a relative and temporary relief: Press the temple of the painful side, apply on the head ice or hot packs, wearing tinted glasses, staying away from the noise and light.
On the merits of treating migraine, it pursues the objective of reducing the frequency of seizures and reduce the sensitivity to triggers.
It is generally proposed to patients who suffer from at least two attacks per month and you must know that a substantive treatment proves ineffective should be halted because it could aggravate the condition and cause side effects. There is in fact no standard treatment that can be applied to all patients the optimal treatment can only be developed after various adjustments, testing and a little patience.
Medicinal component DMARDs migraine belong to different pharmacological classes: beta blockers, calcium channel antagonists, serotonin antagonists which are all drugs that effectively relieve and improve the quality of life: it is aujourd possible hui decrease the migraine attack in 60-80% of cases.
For ten years, a new class of migraine extremely powerful appeared: these triptans.
Taking triptans, however, can have side effects, frequent but usually minor and transient. Some of these effects are related to their vasoconstrictor action at the cardiac level. This is why these drugs are strictly against-indicated in heart failure.
Finally, various non-drug treatments have also obtained interesting success rate in the bottom of migraine treatment: acupuncture, relaxation and biofeedback.
Migraine headaches afflicting 8 to 9% of children can start as young as one year and are usually due to family history. The risk for a child to suffer from migraine is estimated at 75% if both parents are affected and 45% if one parent suffers from migraine itself.
Usually shorter than those of adults, crises are often accompanied by digestive disorders and a major source of disability and absenteeism in school.
But beware: the migraine is not a psychological illness and the child pretends or will never willfully triggers these migraine attacks.
And despite the impressive progress of certain crises (vomiting, pallor), migraine however never put in danger the life of the child.
Just as in adults, migraine in children is underestimated because the diagnosis is difficult. To identify triggers, it is helpful to keep a diary of the occurrence of crises that also allow the doctor to assess the effectiveness of prescribed treatments: each occurrence of crisis, it is important to take the medication - usually of ibuprofen - the faster (so it is necessary to have it always with you, including at school: ask for a medical certificate if necessary).
Some lifestyle rules must be respected because they avoid the occurrence of triggers: do not stay up late, do not skip meals, drink too much drink, do not smoke.
Some non-drug methods are also useful to manage and reduce migraine attacks: the professionals can teach children to migraine relax with relaxation sessions. These sessions allow her body to feel differently, to relax muscles and work on breathing. Gradually, with
Regular exercise can learn to recognize stressful situations and above all learn how to live them.
In case of failure of these methods, different molecules used in adults can be tried.
OTHER HEADACHE (The Best Guide)
All the pain felt at the head are not migraines; the latter being just one of 13 varieties of headaches that are listed today. To make a difference, remember that migraine requires the presence of the signs already indicated higher (painful attacks of 4-72 hours between which the symptoms disappear completely, throbbing, predominance of one side of the skull, unbearable noise and light , etc.).
However migraines crisis of salaries and other headaches remains the same (except in cases of sudden onset of headache or pain following a shock or trauma): it is still conventional painkillers like aspirin, paracetamol or ibuprofen.
In any case, it is essential to avoid self-medication, consult with health professionals and still meet the requirements.
How to cope with headcache pain easily